My formal “installation” as pastor of Sonoita Hills Community Church occurred today at the conclusion of our morning worship service. Surrounded by both my new church family and some dear friends from my past, it was a wonderful experience. Truly I was humbled and blessed.
I was offered the opportunity to say a few words of thanks near the end. However, what God put on my heart to share were eight promises to my new church. This is what I promised . . .
- I will not seek to accomplish great things as pastor of Sonoita Hills Community Church. Instead, I will simply be faithful to the calling and assignment given to me by God. I’ll let God be great and do great things.
- I will do my best to avoid the spotlight, so that God will get all the glory for what He purposes to do through us.
- I will not ask you to follow me and my leadership. Instead, together we will follow Christ and His leadership.
- I will not lean on my own wisdom and understanding. Instead I will strive to lead us in seeking God’s sovereignty and His guidance.
- I will always remember that God is king; which means that I am not. I am His servant and your servant.
- Although it’s natural to have a desire to grow numerically as a church, I will never put cultural relevance above Truth as I teach and live out the gospel of Christ in our community.
- I will gladly forego personal popularity so that I can always communicate the clear urging of Scripture for all to repent of sin, trust Christ as Savior, and embrace a life of obedience to God.
- I will begin each and every day praising God that He has blessed me with the undeserved privilege to live in Sonoita and be the Pastor of Sonoita Hills Community Church.